Psychology Optional Program
What is Psychology?
Psychology is the study of mind and behavior. It encompasses the biological influences, social pressures, and environmental factors that affect how people think, act, and feel.
Gaining a richer and deeper understanding of psychology can help people achieve insights into their own actions as well as a better understanding of other people.
What factors should you consider when selecting your UPSC Mains optional subject?
We recommend the following procedure:
- Have a look at the previous year UPSC CSE Mains question papers for the optional subjects you’re interested in (at least three years).
- Go through the UPSC syllabus of that respective subject as well.
- See whether you are comfortable with the subject matter.
- Estimate the time you might need for comprehensive coverage of the syllabus.
- Once you’ve identified your optional, assess whether you will be able to find study materials (online/offline).
- Choose that subject as your optional subject.
Why to choose Psychology?
As per the UPSC’s annual report, in 2018, 193 candidates had opted for the psychology optional out of which 21 cleared the exam in CSE 2017, giving the subject a success rate of 10.9%. Compared to other optional subjects, it is a relatively high success rate (higher than even sociology).
Psychology is generally considered a highly fascinating subject and most people are highly intrigued by the inner workings of the human mind. As a result, sustaining your interest in the subject matter during the course of your preparation can be fairly easy.
It’s possible to get a high score in this optional because you can always back up your answers with a lot of real-life examples.
So a committed and motivated aspirant can easily complete his/her UPSC journey with Psychology.
Psychology will help you understand so many aspects of Ethics paper (GS-4). Because Ethics is an abstract paper, Psychology fine tunes your abstract understanding and takes away the fear of writing answers in GS-4.
For instance, last year, there was a question on the importance of bringing behavioral changes among the people under Swachh Bharat Mission. This is a place where your knowledge on Applied Psychology could come for the rescue. It can also assist with some aspects of GS I (social issues) as well as the essay paper.
To reap the most benefits, we recommend you the IASBYHEART Psychology Optional course.
Key Features of IASBYHEART Psychology Optional course:
- Quality teaching with emphasis on conceptual clarity.
- Complete coverage of the curriculum.
- Well-designed and thoroughly examined study resources.
- Organised approach to answer writing with logical consistency.
- Experienced Faculty and Super Affordable fees
Paper – I
FOUNDATIONS OF PSYCHOLOGY
- Methods of Psychology
- Research Methods
- Development of Human Behaviour
- Sensation, Attention and Perception
- Thinking and Problem Solving
- Motivation and Emotion
- Intelligence and Aptitude
- Attitudes, Values and Interests
- Language and Communication
PAPER – II
PSYCHOLOGY: ISSUES AND APPLICATIONS
- Psychological Measurement of Individual Differences
- Psychological well-being and Mental Disorders
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Work Psychology and Organisational Behaviour
- Application of Psychology to Educational Field
- Community Psychology
- Rehabilitation Psychology
- Application of Psychology to disadvantaged groups
- Psychological problems of social integration
- Application of Psychology in Information Technology and Mass Media
- Psychology and Economic development
- Application of psychology to environment and related fields
- Application of psychology in other fields
- Psychology of Gender
Recommended Booklist for Psychology
- Psychology by Robert A Baron
- Psychology by Saundra Ciccarelli
- Understanding Psychology by Robert S. Feldman
- Tests, Measurements and Research Methods in Behavioural Sciences by A K Singh
- Psychology – Classes XI & XII NCERT textbooks
- Applied Psychology by Smarak Swain
At IASBYHEART, experts who have devoted almost their entire lives teaching Sociology will teach you in a way that will help you understand new concepts and clear this exam with flying colours.
0.00 average based on 0 ratings
Enrolled 0 student
More Courses You Might Like
To clear UPSC MAINS, you need thorough knowledge of both fundamental concepts & expert areas of optional. Master Psychology optional to emerge successful in the CSE.
Some optionals are too vast to master, but with a clear strategy, you can clear the optional with great scores. Master Sociology optional to excel the CSE.
This is a holistic program focused on providing step by step guidance to CSE aspirants to internalise the process, understand the concepts, & prepare them to meet the demands…